Research published in the journal Pediatrics showed that COVID-19 incidence was eight times greater in unvaccinated children than in those who had been vaccinated. Researchers examined data from 1,128 students ages 11 to 19 at a single school in North Carolina.
According to the researchers, 829 (73.5%) students were vaccinated, whereas the remaining 299 (26.5%) students were unvaccinated. A total of 20 (6.7%) unvaccinated students reported being infected during the study period vs. only seven (0.8%) vaccinated students.
The unvaccinated students had about 8 times the incidence of documented infection and about 9 times the incidence of symptomatic infection compared with vaccinated students, according to the researchers.
My suspicion is that most of the parents or caretakers for the unvaccinated children or the children with COVID were themselves unvaccinated. Studies have shown that parental COVID vaccination protects unvaccinated kids.
Vaccinated parents give their children a “cocoon effect.” We now know this is true with COVID, diphtheria, influenza, and other vaccine-preventable diseases.
The researchers acknowledged that the study was limited to only one school, but say, “The findings add to mounting evidence nationwide showing the usefulness of vaccinations.”
You can read more details here.
This blog was accurate as of the day of posting. However, as the COVID-19 pandemic rapidly evolves and the scientific community’s understanding of the novel coronavirus and the COVID vaccine develops, the information above may have changed since it was last updated. While I aim to keep all of my blogs on COVID and the COVID vaccine up to date, please visit online resources provided by the CDC, WHO, and your local public health department to stay informed on the latest news.
© Copyright WLL, INC. 2022. This blog provides a wide variety of general health information only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from your regular physician. If you are concerned about your health, take what you learn from this blog and meet with your personal doctor to discuss your concerns.